GdkEvent question (is it a bug?)

While working on a script to convert the GdkEvent structures to
Fortran derived types for the GtkFortran project I came across the
following

struct _GdkEventClient
{
  GdkEventType type;
  GdkWindow *window;
  gint8 send_event;
  GdkAtom message_type;
  gushort data_format;
  union {
    char b[20];
    short s[10];
    long l[5];
  } data;
};

This looks to me like a 32-bit-specific construct as (a) there's no
int type and (b) on a 64-bit system the long tag in the union will be
twice as long as the short & char tags, should this be regarded as a
bug?

Also, since Fortran's iso_c_binding does not have any support for
unions so any attempt to include this will be at best a kludge, is
this an important event ?