Questions on creation of glyphs

I want to create a small set (say 5-10 symbols) of custom glyphs and want these symbols to be part of the
alphabet of a fictional language. I also want to assign unused unicode values to these symbols and want these
symbols to appear on my application as well as the terminal when I press specific keys.

I want it to appear on my terminal screen because that is the easiest way for me to test my compilation. (I
know I have to recompile gnome terminal for this but I am fine with that.)

So here are my questions.

(1) How do I create new glyph files?
(2) Where in the source code are the unicode values mapped to the glyphs and which files will I need to
modify to map some unused unicode values to the newly created glyphs?
(3) Where in the source code are keycodes mapped to the unicode values and which files will I need to modify
this map?

I want to understand the flow through the source code and will appreciate anyone who can give me this
information.

Thanks,
-Ferdinand