Re: Making widgets visible outside their containing window

Thanks for the hint, looks like they're doing something similar to what
I want to do.

On 07/13/2011 07:12 PM, James Morris wrote:
2011/7/13 Felix H. Dahlke <fhd ubercode de>:
Thanks for your answers. I did fool around with a popup, but it would
also overlap other windows, transient or not. Furthermore, I need it to
move relative to the window if that is moved.

Maybe it's best if I tell you what I'm trying to do in particular:
I'm working on something like a tooltip. However, I don't think I can
use normal tooltips, since I need to position it manually (actually, I
need it to move out of the way if the mouse cursor approaches it).

A popup sounds like the right way to do this, but I need to somehow wire
the popup's movement to the window's movement. Is there an easy way to
do that?

Take a look at PHAT fan sliders. These are sliders which
vertical-mouse-movement brings up a fan through which the user gains
more precision in the slider position. The fans are not bounded by any
window the widget is associated with. There might be some pointers in
there for how to do what you want, but note it's unmaintained code by
now, and also contains some deprecated code.

http://phat.berlios.de/

James.