Forcing a "toggle" event to be emitted

Hi all,
I have a program in which I call gtk_toggle_button_set_active to
enable a check box based on a previously set variable when a dialog
box is created. I've set up a "toggled" event handler that will print
out a message to console. The docs state that
gtk_toggle_button_set_active will always emit a "toggled" event,
however, what I'm seeing is that the message only gets emitted when
the state of the check box actually changes. The check box comes up by
default in the inactive state, so the event handler only gets called
when I call gtk_toggle_button_set_active with is_active = TRUE. Would
this be a bug, or a mistake in the documentation? I'm using gtk2
2.22.0, on Fedora 14. Thanks.
-Jim