receiving clicks on a hierarchy of widgets

I have a big hierarchy of widgets that has been working well for a long time.
Now I need to receive a click anywhere in the area defined by a big drawing
area widget near the base of the hierarchy. Various other widgets overlay
parts of the drawing area, including other drawing areas and labels.

I have connected the background drawing area to the clicked signal
successfully in the sense that it receives a click when the pointer is
hovering over only that drawing area.  When the pointer is over any of the
other widgets, none of which themselves connect to the clicked signal, the
main drawing area doesn't get the clicked event.  How can I get this?

I have searched the list and found nothing similar although it seems
unlikely I would be the first person to need this.  Thanks for your
attention.

John Boncek