Bring a widget to the foreground

Suppose I designed a custom widget that was made up of two other widgets layered on top of each other.  As an
example, let's say I wanted a button whose label needed to be at the top of the button, rather than in the
centre.  I use either a separate label or a graphical image to achieve this.

Each time the button gets pressed I need to make sure that it doesn't obscure the other widget.  So having
done whatever gets done in response to the button press, I need to bring the other widget to the foreground
again.  Does GTK+ have a method available for achieving this?

John