Re: Memory leaks

On 13/02/11 04:43, John Emmas wrote:
FWIW I tracked sown the mechanism for suppressing leak detections in MSVC.  Basically, you can set
checkpoints and only display the leaks between two specified points.  It might not be as flexible as the
method used in Valgrind but it's one helluva lot easier.  Here's how I modified my original code:-

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
Gtk::Main  app (&argc,&argv);
MainWindow mainWnd;

       // g_thread initialisation here

      mainWnd.set_title ("Hello World !");

_CrtMemState state;                    // These two
_CrtMemCheckpoint (&state );    // lines added

       app.run ( mainWnd );

_CrtMemDumpAllObjectsSince (&state );  // Dumps the 'leaks'

       return;
}

As you can see, I've told the dumper to ignore memory allocated during my initialisation.  This leaves me
with around 80 leak reports, some of which are very likely due to my own code.  And although I don't see any
g_warnings when I run the app, some are probably down to similar entities that delayed their initialisation
until after app.run().  So let's say that ultimately, I can get my list down to around 65 leaks.  At least
that's a lot more manageable than I was seeing before!  Hopefully this might help anyone who finds himself in
the same situation as me.  I still think that some cleanup functionality would be better though.

John