How to achieve functionality of GTK_WINDOW_POPUP but with keyboard input

How can I achieve the same 'screen invasion' effect (i.e covers everything including the Gnome Panels and prevents other windows being brought to the front with Alt-Tab) that GTK_WINDOW_POPUP has but also allow keyboard input to the widgets in the window.

Ive tried GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_DOCK which invades screen ok but has no keyboard input

GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_SPLASHSCREEN doesnt invade screen - other windows can be placed on top, alt-tab works, but keyboard input works

GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_DESKTOP no display

GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_UTILITY
doesnt invade screen - other windows can be placed on top, alt-tab works
GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_TOOLBAR
doesnt invade screen - other windows can be placed on top, alt-tab works
GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_MENU
doesnt invade screen - other windows can be placed on top, alt-tab works

The reason is Im trying to write a program for a public kiosk hence I effectively want to lock the screen.