Re: "Program Files" folder

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:30:29PM +0100, John Emmas wrote:

Thanks David.  I just checked OpenSuse which I've got installed on a
different machine.  For OpenSuse, "/bin", "/opt" and "/usr/bin" are
not accessible to me as a mere user.  However, "/usr/local/bin" is
fully accessible to everyone.

Directory /usr/local/bin belongs to filesystem-11.4-11.14.1.x86_64.rpm
in OpenSuSE and the owner and permissions set in this rpm, as you can
easily check on any FTP mirror, are

    root:root drwxr-xr-x

And this also is what you actually find in installed systems (I have
many OpenSuSE systems of different versions).

So, what evidence of the world-writability can you provide beside the
observation from your system?

 As with 64studio, /bin and /usr/bin
seem mostly to contain OS related apps whereas /usr/local/bin seems to
contain stuff that I've installed using automake.  Two distros is
still only a small sample though....

That's still one distro.  And IMO more likely no distro at all, but some
special setup on your side.

Yeti