Re: Brainy person needed for scrolling canvas problem!

On 2 July 2010 18:12, John Emmas <johne53 tiscali co uk> wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion John.  Can I assume that you're referring to the functionality of gdk-pixbuf?  It
didn't occur to me to look there, though I suppose it's the most obvious place to find a solution.  I'd
been looking for layering API's or blitting API's within gtk :-(

Sorry, I meant pixmaps, not pixbufs.

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gdk/stable/gdk-Bitmaps-and-Pixmaps.html

Pixmaps are held on the server side (whereas pixbufs are client-side).
They are offscreen drawables and, on most systems, are very quick
because the GPU can move them about.

You'd link to the configure event to build the offscreen pixmap. The
scribble example in the tutorial uses pixmaps to improve drawing:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk-tutorial/stable/c2422.html

John