Re: Valgrind and GTK libraries

2010/1/1 Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+gtk mega-nerd com>:
 - How does one go about teasing out the difference between my memory
  leaks and GTK stuff I have no control over?

Just a few thoughts

Valgrind is an excellent product, and is designed for programmer use only.

It shows where unreleased memory was allocated, so one can trace each chunk of memory to see if it should have been released, and take appropriate action it your code allocated it.

If it was allocated elsewhere, chances are it is either correct or it is someone elses problem.

Humans can make mistakes, but GTK is well tested.

In my case, suspected errors in linux library code have always been errors in my own code which surface as Gnu libraries are improved. I should add that my suggested problem has always been resolved within a few hours (even at weekends) , by competent polite experts... A pleasant change from the mainstream monopoly suppliers that milk their user base

Rgds Bill C