Valgrind and GTK libraries

Hi all,

I working on an existing code base written by someone else and during
my debugging I ran the program under Valgrind. This was very useful
for finding uses of unitialised memory etc, but also showed some quite
severe memory leak problems.

I've managed to track down a large number of the leaks but I'm left
with a still larger number of leaks related the GTK and its difficult
to tell which are problems in the code base I'm working on and which
are things GTK has allocated once for the lifetime of the program and
will never release.

I'm using the G_SLICE and G_DEBUG environment variables and the gtk
suppressions file on this page:

    http://live.gnome.org/Valgrind

and I still see much more than I should. The valgrind output is here:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/valgrind.txt

I'm working on Ubuntu 9.10.

Some questions:

 - Is that suppressions file up to date?

 - How does one go about teasing out the difference between my memory
   leaks and GTK stuff I have no control over?

Finally, I notice GNU Libc has a function __libc_freeres that frees all
the resources libc allocates to make it easier to use Valgrind. Wouldn't
it make sense for GTK to have something similar?

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
http://www.mega-nerd.com/