Re: Valgrind and GTK libraries

2010/1/1 Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+gtk mega-nerd com>:
 - How does one go about teasing out the difference between my memory
  leaks and GTK stuff I have no control over?

I usually run my app twice: once with just startup/shutdown and once
with startup/run for a while/shutdown. The diff between the two runs
(with a little trimming) shows interesting memleaks.

Also, with experience it becomes easy to spot the gtk things that
aren't leaks. Anything related to type init is not really a leak, for
example.

Finally, I notice GNU Libc has a function __libc_freeres that frees all
the resources libc allocates to make it easier to use Valgrind. Wouldn't
it make sense for GTK to have something similar?

I think this would be quite a lot of work to add. The type system
doesnt rally have an unload operation and the gain would be relatively
small, for most people.

John