Re: Hardware accelerated 2D graphics (with gtk-osx)

On 8 Aug 2010, at 20:58, Kristian Rietveld wrote:

The slowness you are observing is interesting, since the graphics performance of GTK+-OSX on my Mac laptop
is faster than the performance of GTK+-X11 on my (faster) Linux desktop.

[ ... ]

What hardware and OS revision are you using?

I'm using a Mac Mini with OS-X 10.6.3.  Graphics are provided by the onboard NVidia chip which is a GeForce
9400.  On the Apple Discussions forum they told me that this chipset was compatible with the ones that are
supposedly supported (for hardware acceleration) by QuartzGL.  However, I guess it's entirely possible that I
might have been informed wrongly.  It's certainly true that any attempt to enable hardware acceleration
actually makes my 2D performance worse!

Do you experience this just in your canvas or in other GTK+ applications as well?

This particular app is the only GTK application that I've ever run on my Mac.  It's an application called
Mixbus which is derived from Ardour, the popular open-source DAW for linux.  Mixbus is developed by an
American company called Harrison Inc.  I do know that they use a variety of different Macs for testing but
they're all displaying the same problem.  Having said that, I might ask if they can test it on the PPC
platform to see if that makes a difference.  Just out ot interest, Kristian - is your Mac laptop a MacBook or
a PowerBook? And what graphics chipset is it using?

John