Re: Hardware accelerated 2D graphics (with gtk-osx)

On Aug 8, 2010, at 9:32 PM, John Emmas wrote:
On 1 Aug 2010, at 21:49, Kristian Rietveld wrote:

GTK+ OSX does all drawing using CoreGraphics, this should be hardware-accelerated whenever possible.

From what I've been able to tell, CoreGraphics eventually ends up using QuartzGL for 2D imaging and
acceleration.  QuartzGL however seems to be buggy, unfinished and badly written.  On my system (and I
suspect most other Macs) enabling hardware acceleration for QuartzGL actually worsens 2D graphics
performance rather than enhancing it.

What hardware and OS revision are you using?  Do you experience this just in your canvas or in other GTK+
applications as well?  I am wondering if there's a certain code path that is badly optimized?

The slowness you are observing is interesting, since the graphics performance of GTK+-OSX on my Mac laptop is
faster than the performance of GTK+-X11 on my (faster) Linux desktop.

So another option might be to use gtk-x11 in the Mac build, instead of gtk-osx.  Obviously this would
require an X server to be installed but I don't think that's too difficult on a Mac.  The question is
whether or not X (under OS-X) also uses QuartzGL or whether it interfaces with Quartz Compositor directly
(or via some alternative technology, such as OpenGL).  I'm assuming there must be an interface to Quartz
Compositor at some stage.

Mac OS X actually ships with an X11 server (X11.app), you can install it from the extra components on the Mac
OS X installation DVD.

Anyone know where I could find out some more information about X server for OS-X?

I guess this will be of interest:  http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

regards,

-kris.