Re: Cannot get pipes to work with glibmm

Hi again, I partially solved my problem:

One needs to call Glib::IOChannel::flush() after writing on outgoing
pipe for the message to be passed.
For the ingoing pipe, it is necessary to add a watch function using for
instance

Glib::io_signal().connect(sigc::mem_fun(&object,Object::callback),ingoing_fd,
                          Glib::IO_IN);

I'm running into an other problem: Using the abow call, the function

bool Object::callback(Glib::IOCondition cond)

will be called each time the Glib::IO_IN condition is set on the ingoing
pipe, that is when there is something to read.

But trying to read in the above callback function using

Glib::IOChannel::read_to_end

results in an infinite loop (at least it looks like it).
The Glib::IOChannel::read_line still works so I tried the following
workaround:

Glib::ustring store,buf;
while(ingoing->get_condition() & Glib::IO_IN){
    ingoing->readline(buf);
    store.append(buf);
}

The while loop seems to finish, but then my callback function keeps
being called over and over again by the main loop (Gtk::Main::run()), as
if the Glib::IO_IN condition was never unset although the above while
loop did finish.

Am I doing things in an unexpected way, or is it possible there is a bug
in Glib::IOChannel ?

Thanks!

Le samedi 17 octobre 2009 Ã 17:37 +0200, Bastien Dalla Piazza a Ãcrit :
Hi,

I don't know if this is the correct mailing list so redirect me if not.

In a Gtkmm project, I'm using Glib::spawn_async_with_pipes to execute
and control a child process (gnugo in the example). But I cannot get it
to work!
For example:
In the following code, I just redirect the gnugo stdin and stdout to my
program:

#include <glibmm.h>
#include <vector>
#include <string>
#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    Glib::init();

    int fd_stdin, fd_stdout; //file descriptors
    Glib::Pid pid;
    Glib::RefPtr<Glib::IOChannel> ch_stdin, ch_stdout;

    std::vector<std::string> arguments;
    arguments.push_back("gnugo");
    arguments.push_back("--mode");
    arguments.push_back("gtp");

    /spawn gnugo
    Glib::spawn_async_with_pipes(Glib::get_current_dir(),
                             arguments,Glib::SPAWN_SEARCH_PATH,
                             sigc::slot<void>(),
                             &pid,&fd_stdin,&fd_stdout);

    //create the IOChannel from the file descriptors
    ch_stdin=Glib::IOChannel::create_from_fd(fd_stdin);
    ch_stdout=Glib::IOChannel::create_from_fd(fd_stdout);

    Glib::ustring input,output;

    //a stupid loop to test whether the pipes work
    while(true){
        std::cin>>input;
        ch_stdin->write(input.append("\n"));
        ch_stdout->read_to_end(output);