setuid / setgid

I hope this is the right list to post this query.

An application that I've built many times before is now suddenly refusing to
run.  I see an error message saying:-

Gtk-WARNING: This process is currently running setuid or setgid
This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper program.
Refusing to initialze GTK+.

It gives a link to a web page for more information
(http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html) but to be honest, it doesn't explain the
situation very well.  It doesn't explain what a "setuid" program is, nor why
a program that was never previously a "setuid" program would suddenly become
one.

The same program (i.e. the same source code) builds and runs fine on a
different machine.  Is it possible that an environment variable has changed
or something?  Or might I need to upgrade GTK+ or something like that?

Thanks,

John