Re: setuid / setgid

John Emmas wrote:
It gives a link to a web page for more information
(http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html) but to be honest, it doesn't explain the
situation very well.  It doesn't explain what a "setuid" program is, nor
why a program that was never previously a "setuid" program would suddenly
become one.

That page seems to explain the issue quite well to me, but then I know
what setuid means and presumably you don't. But did you think to look up
the meaning of the word? The first hit in google is to a wikipedia
article that explains the basics. setuid is a longstanding 'well-known'
part of the unix/linux system security architecture so IMHO it's
unreasonable to ask that the web page should explain it.

When you understand the concept a little, you'll see that it has to do
with file permissions and user ids, so if you still have trouble then
posting the relevant details of your system will help anybody trying to
help you.

Cheers, Dave