tuning widgets base size

Hi, list.

I've noticed many widgets calculate its base size relying on font sizes (font size, ascent, descent...) of
its pango context. Thus I've tried to change PangoFontDescription of widgets in this way just after widget
creation:

  context = gtk_widget_get_pango_context ( wg );
  descr1 = pango_context_get_font_description ( context );
  descr2 = pango_font_description_copy(descr1) ;

  int size = pango_font_description_get_size(descr2);

  size  = ( size * 2 ) / 3;

  pango_font_description_set_size(descr2, size);
  pango_context_set_font_description(context, descr2);

But this doesn't work. What is the right solution of my problem? Finaly I want make widgets smaller than
default widgets, like toolbox widgets in The GIMP.

Thanks.