Re: g_spawn_async_with_pipes() & ssh based IPC

Brian J. Tarricone on 07/09/2009 03:45 PM wrote:

I think the sshfs guys might beg to differ with you on that one.  As
would anyone who uses subversion or git (etc.) over ssh.  Or anyone
who's tunneled various protocols using ssh's port forwarding.

That's off-topic. I'm not ignorant to those use cases.

And here I was thinking that the entire point of writing computer
programs was so we could be lazy.

Note my word *extreme*. I'm all for easy programming -- but it sounded
like the OP wanted to write three function calls and be done.

Anyway, Thomas: as long as you're able to parse the responses you get
from the server, using g_spawn_async_with_pipes() and probably
GIOChannel, you should be able to do what you want.

It probably would be more reliable to write your own TLS server and
client, but might not be faster or easier.  I'm not sure about the win32
issues, though.

There should be zero win32 issues. One of my Win32 apps uses a GTK gui
to talk to a Linux server daemon using XML-ized data packets. Not
exactly the same but it works perfectly.