g_spawn_async_with_pipes() & ssh based IPC

So as much as I wish there were real (open source) ssh client and server C libraries for the ssh infrastructure, the general approach seems to to be child process with redirected IO on the client (with ssh on *nix and plink.exe on windows). On the server side connecting to a long running "server" program would require a helper program launched by the ssh server that then connects up via unix socket or something (why on earth wasn't unix socket forwarding part of the original idea?). I bet someone out there has tried this. Did it work? Anything odd to consider? Any alternative ideas? Any way to even imagine a secure server side on windows (win named pipes perhapses?). Is all this in anyway better than a maybe a custom tls/ssl server or something? I know this is slightly off topic, but I know everybody has had to ask themselves this same question.