Re: Drag 'n' Drop behavior in Windows

Tor Lillqvist wrote:
As a user of Geany, I was surprised to find that when attempting to move
selected text by d'n'd, that the default behavior under WinXP was copy

Presumably you are talking about drag.and-drop inside one application
instance, as drag-and-drop of anything (including text) between apps
does not work in GTK+ on Windows?

Yes, within the same application.

I don't know what causes this behaviour, and presumably it is not
intended. File a bug at bugzilla.gnome.org against product:gtk+,
component:win32.

where I had expected it to be move as it is in Linux. When I brought this up on
the Geany list, I was told that this behavior is part of GTK.

The correct thing to compare to should be how non-GTK+ apps in general
behave on Windows, though, not how GTK+ behaves on X11. The intent is
that GTK+ should follow the platform's expected behaviour when
applicable. But anyway, in this case the platform defaults seems to be
move and not copy, too, when dragging inside one app.
I agree that the behavior should follow the platform, not necessarily the app. My experience is that windows apps in general and editors and word processors in particular move selected text rather than copying it. Certainly this is true for MS apps like Word and Notepad, etc. And several other Windows but non-MS editors that I have used also move by default. In fact, I can't remember ever encountering an app on Linux or Windows that copies by default (until now).

My main intention in writing is to determine if there is anything that can be done with existing versions of GTK on Windows. Is there any sort of configuration file or environment variable that can be used to reverse the behavior?

Many thanks,

Bob S.

--tml