font problems

Hello,

I have just converted a program of mine to use gtk_print and cairo+pango for printing instead of my 10 year old hand coded postscript output. I'm mostly happy with the results, very happy to get printing working under win32 as well, but am having a font problem.

I am selecting a font with

desc = pango_font_description_from_string("serif");
pango_font_description_set_size(desc, font_size*PANGO_SCALE);
pango_layout_set_font_description(layout, desc);

My english text coming out to a pdf file or to my postscript printer looks great. But I have a few greek characters here and there. For example

The unicode character there is a lower case greek epsilon. When I print to PDF, that character is clearly bitmapped and looks ugly compared to the rest of the text. When I send to my postscript printer, it (the epsilon) doesn't even come out.

When I do the same from a win32 build, the printed character looks pretty good as do upper and lower case delta and rho.

Is there a better way to use greek letters for variables or mathematical symbols? Is there a more standard (portable across all expected platforms) way I should get a font?

Thanks
-Dan