Re: Layout Composite Widget Components Using Glade-3? / Pluggable widgets replacement for Glade custom widget?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Daniel Yek <dyek real com> wrote:
[...]
Hi Tristan,

No, I think I got the "pluggable" term from the following Wikipedia page.
Yeah, the term is probably too confusing to use besides serving as a general
explanation in the article.

ok for the sake of this conversation: you are trying to integrate your custom
widget into glade, the fact that it is a composite widget is of little
consequence;
lets start by getting your instance running in glade and your
properties introspected.

Scratch my previous comment about a feature we never wrote, its
irrelevant here...

Think about creating a new "GnomeDialog" to be a composite widget. It would
have to be Glade's custom widget if not "plugged into Glade" with catalog
and "support plugin", wouldn't it? That was what I was referring to when I
said "(custom) composite widget".
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/cha-widget.html#Z142

if you write a catalog for a real widget that you have written,
a widget in C or another bound language, then you integrate
it (or only fake it..) right into the glade palette - no need for
a go between object.

I found this posting to be informative and mostly answered my question:
http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/glade-users/2007-October/003647.html
http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/glade-users/2007-October/003648.html

However, the testcatalog.xml in the blog is no longer available:
http://www.gnome.org/~tvb/testcatalog.xml
<http://www.gnome.org/%7Etvb/testcatalog.xml>
http://blogs.gnome.org/tvb/2007/07/25/some-popular-features/

My fault I cleaned up my home dir... I posted on in its place just for you :)
(I'll attach it to this mail also...)

I am experimenting with the parent-class construct in the attached catalog,
but not seeing any observable effect or errors (after debugged earlier
catalog syntax errors.) If successful, do I get a new tool icon in
Glade-palette?

Only if you included the <glade-widget-group> portion of the catalog.

This is how I start Glade-3:
$ export GLADE_CATALOG_PATH=<directory>
$ glade-3 project.glade

Any idea how I can get started with the approach of creating a composite
widget in Glade that is basically just a GtkVBox with signal handlers custom
code hooked up?

You should come join me in #glade3 on irc.gnome.org if you're having trouble
it'll be easier for me to help you there... before I misread you again...
what do you mean by "with signal handlers custom code hooked up" ?

Do you mean your vbox does things with signals ? or it just provides new
ones for the user ?

Cheers,
                -Tristan