Re: Locale definitions, dots and commas

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Carlos Pereira
<jose carlos pereira ist utl pt> wrote:
Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:
 > What you need to do indeed:
 > 1. use locale-dependent formatting in the UI (both for input and output)
 > 2. use locale-INDEPENDENT formatting when you read and save your data files.
 So you are saying that interfaces should use dots, commas, whatever is
 locally defined, but files should always be in dots. I am not sure I
 agree with this.

 My users are actively encouraged to read and modify XML and other text-based
 formats, and it looks quite odd to force users to edit files in dots,
 while at the
 same time they are allowed to use whatever they like in the interface.

For case of XML you just have no chiose, at least if XML Schema is used.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#decimal
just mandates dots for "decimal" and, as consequence, for "float" and "double".

For another formats text-based formats...  Using of the one and the
same notation will reduce errors.  I remember case when I misread
"12,345" (US notation) as 12.345 instead of "12 tousands 345" just
because my native locale (Russian) uses comma as decimal separator.
And I expect that nearly to all US people just don't recognize
"12 345" as an _one_ decimal number at all (Russian uses space as
tousand separator).

Therefore, cross locale data transfer in an locale dependent format is
a bad thing.

 Or are you advocating that text file editors should show dot decimal
 separators
 as commas, when locale is comma-based?

Of course not! :-)

apparently that is not the case with
 Vim and Xemacs, in Gnome, in Fedora 8, I just checked.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <andrew w nosenko gmail com>