Re: Locale definitions, dots and commas

Tomas Carnecky wrote:
Carlos Pereira wrote:
Hi,
I received a message (see below) complaining about using dots instead of commas in decimal numbers. What are the best solutions for this, from the gtk point of view?

What happens is that in my French locale, the decimal >symbol is ',' not '.' !
Have a nice day, (and good luck with the bug).

>   $ man 1p locale
>   -> ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES

>  This is the typical problem in engineering.
>  you only puthis this method before gtk_main();
>  gtk_disable_setlocale ();

Thanks for your answers, I realize this is not Gtk stuff,
but certainly affects every GTK app involving decimal numbers...

After setting in my .bashrc, for example (the same with portuguese, russian, etc.):

LC_ALL=french; export LC_ALL

Everything automatically works in my GTK app, with commas instead of dots, including exporting and importing files (involving for example the Expat XML library).

However, a problem remains: my app is distributed with several hundreds of example data files, ready to be imported. If these files are dot-based, comma people cannot import them. If these files are comma-based, dot people cannot import them... Unless I have two versions for each file (which seems odd), or I supply a script to automatically convert dot- to comma-based files...

If I use gtk_disable_setlocale, then dots are always used, but that does not seem quite right... basically I am ignoring user's preference for commas...

Is there a good solution for this? am I missing something?
What is the standard procedure in Gnome to handle this problem?

Thanks,
Carlos