Re: Locale definitions, dots and commas

Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:
What you need to do indeed:
1. use locale-dependent formatting in the UI (both for input and output)
2. use locale-INDEPENDENT formatting when you read and save your data files.
So you are saying that interfaces should use dots, commas, whatever is
locally defined, but files should always be in dots. I am not sure I agree with this.

My users are actively encouraged to read and modify XML and other text-based
formats, and it looks quite odd to force users to edit files in dots, while at the
same time they are allowed to use whatever they like in the interface.

Or are you advocating that text file editors should show dot decimal separators
as commas, when locale is comma-based? apparently that is not the case with
Vim and Xemacs, in Gnome, in Fedora 8, I just checked.

Carlos