Re: OpenGL, GtkGlArea, GtkGLExt

4 mar 2008 kl. 19.14 skrev Behdad Esfahbod:

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 17:04 +0000, Carlos Pereira wrote:

I have red a few times that thread, that Owen started five years ago,
and apparently there is agreement in the essentials:

1) remove all the fat from Gtkglext, namely the wrapper functions
discussed in that thread, make it a small library that cares only for
opengl integration, that works in the X window system but also in
Windows and Mac OS X, exactly as Gtk.

Correct.

2) change the name, for example to Gtkglarea 2.0*, the legitimate
sucessor to Gtkglarea 1 (the last version of Gtkglarea that I downloaded last week is 1.99 and still comes with gtk_signal_connect and other Gtk
1.2* functions deprecated long ago)

No, gtkglarea is dead. We don't want a new widget. We want being able
to render to widgets using OpenGL as an alternative to using cairo.
That is, the GtkGlExt approach.

This shouldn't be too much work as most of the code already is there.

3) make it an official (but optional) Gtk library, downloadble from
www.gtk.org.

No.  Push it into the Gtk+ tarball, probably as a new .so.  Like gdk,
gdk-pixbuf, and gtk are different .so's.

Definitely agree.

I believe this would make Gtk more appealing, particularly for
scientific/engineering/architecture applications.
Carlos

Indeed.

Not to mention new kind of user experiences for regular desktop applications (read Mac OS X) or mobile applications in the spirit of iphone. Much of it can be done without GL though, but some things definitely need hardware acceleration and 3D awareness.

Cheers,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio AB, http://www.imendio.com