Refreshing GUI to show changes?

Please excuse me - I am a software / Gtk newbie....

I know this is probably a really simple question, but I seem to have
difficulties to get the contents of a label to change. The label initially
is set to "Running filesystem check" and then I call e2fsck from my
application. Once it is finished executing I want the label to now display
something like "filesystem check complete" but when I try
gtk_label_set_text(...) with the new text the GUI doesn't update. I'm
guessing it is something to do with no event being generated or something
like that. How do I get the GUI to refresh and show the new label
contents?

Thanks,

VT

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain
confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in
reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the
sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.