Re: cairo canvas

Yes there are quite some canvases based on gtk/cairo out there, some
more mature than the other ones, for a table of comparison look at
[1].

[1] http://live.gnome.org/ProjectRidley/CanvasOverview?highlight=%28canvas%29#Features

I would suggest you to have a look at goocanvas, it comes with a lot
of really cool and useful examples and a complete reference manual.

Yes I saw this one, but since the last version is more than a year
old, I got the impression it's not really develloped anymore. Well,
maybe instead of premature it's just perfect! :) Anyway, thanks for
your link.