cairo canvas

hello,

My app can draw lines, circles etc. on a gtk drawing area (cairo
based). However, later on I want to be able to pick up the line,
circle etc. and move them around the canvas or resize them. So in
effect I want to be able to put graphical objects on the drawing area,
and later be able to manipulate them. Like in inkscape.

After quite some googling I didn't find a standard method to do this;
there are different projects being develloped but all premature.

Does anybody have suggestions what I could best use?

In addition, I'm interested in how such a canvas could be implemented.
However I have no idea, and I couldn't find some "gtk/cairo canvas
implementation HOWTO". So any info about that is welcome as well!

Thanks all for suggestions.

regards,
CH