Re: non-themed widget styles?

Hi again,

On 10/31/07, Chris Rorvick <chrisr trdlnk com> wrote:
jcupitt gmail com wrote:
On 10/31/07, Chris Rorvick <chrisr trdlnk com> wrote:
I have a GTK application that modifies the foreground and background of
many different buttons rapidly.  These buttons should not be themed, so
it seems that the gtk_widget_modify_*() functions incur an unnecessary
overhead.  Is there a way to remove the theming of a widget?  I've tried

I do this by defining a set of styles in a style file (eg.
"error_style" is reddish), then have a line binding all widgets named
In my code I do gtk_widget_set_name( widget, "error_widget" ); to get
it drawn in the red style, and _set_name( "" ); to have it drawn in
the regular style.

Thank you for the feedback.  I think what you are suggesting is a way to
override the default style for a particular widget.  I don't think this
achieves my primary goal, though, of avoiding the overhead incurred by
the logic in GTK that supports themes.  This overhead includes acquiring
a lock and navigating/manipulating linked lists of styles.  Use of a
profiler has shown this to be a significant burden to my application.

Yes, I saw you other posts. I'm suggesting a way you can change button
styles quickly. The idea is that you make a set of static styles when
your program starts up, then as it runs, rather than modifying styles,
you just change which style is used to draw each widget.

I guess I don't understand what you're trying to do :-( What's the
problem with the theme engine?

John