non-themed widget styles?

I have a GTK application that modifies the foreground and background of many different buttons rapidly. These buttons should not be themed, so it seems that the gtk_widget_modify_*() functions incur an unnecessary overhead. Is there a way to remove the theming of a widget? I've tried setting a button's style to a private copy, modifying that copy and then calling gtk_widget_set_style. I've gotten this to work, but I feel like I'm fighting with GTK. :)

Is there a proper way to do this? Also, is there some decent documentation that covers hacking around with GTK widgets like this?

Thanks,

Chris Rorvick