Re: Building and packaging for Windows

GTK is usually already installed with GIMP;

Presumably not everyone is interested in installing GIMP just to get a
copy of GTK+.

Is there a better choice of bitmap graphic editor than GIMP?
(I am just curious, not starting flamewar :-)
Of course, there may be some people who are not at all interested in image editing, but it seems to me that this is a basic tool, alike vector editor (my choice is Inscape) and text editor (my choice is Notepad++).

if not, the packages are on
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/old.html

That "old" should tell you that the versions there are already
obsolete, and will become increasingly so.

The old versions are good enough for my purposes.

I do not use features newer than 2.6.10 because I got the impression that it is not possible to run the new versions also on Win98. Or am I wrong?

Also I suppose that it is not possible to write applications which would in run-time decide, depending on GTK version, whether they can call new functions or not. It is so?

Nowadays the GIMP installer
bundles the GTK+ runtime and dependencies, so it is not possible to
find an installer for just a fresh GTK+ from the gimp-win site.

That is the reason why I use the old versions.

The main, some may even say "official", distribution for prebuilt
binaries of each version of GTK+ and dependencies is on ftp.gnome.org.
(In the form of zip archives, from which it should be a small matter
of scripting to construct installers if one likes.)

I only thougt that for those like me, with less skill and time,
it would be helpful to know that there is also the quick and easy way with the old packages.

P.A.