Vector drawing question.

I'm considering writing something like a simple vector drawing program,
but I'm very new to GUIs, so I'm having trouble finding where to start.

I think I want a GdkDrawable. If I gdk_draw_line(), say, is there any
way for me to recognize when the user clicks on it? When something else
overlaps? Is there a way to move it? Or do I have to keep an internal
representation of what's visible and every time there's a mouseclick,
search through all things that might be on the screen to see if the
mouseclick is inside one of them?

Tk has tags, and operations to find tags near a mouseclick, move tagged
items, etc. Qt has QGraphicsScene which seems to have ways to recognize
when a user clicks on something (though, I don't know Qt,
either). What's the mechanism to do this in gtk? Should I be looking at
some other toolkit or package for this?

  Vadim