menuitem activate

Legacy code I'm trying to update and I've been out of the programming thing
for a while.

I have a popup menu with this item in it:
      menuitem = gtk_item_factory_get_item (ifactory, "/Refresh Tree");
      gtk_widget_set_sensitive (menuitem, FALSE);

I'm looking at the gtk class reference and find this:
_______________________________

gtk.MenuItem.activate

    def activate()

The activate() method emits the "activate" signal on the menu item.

(...)

The "activate" gtk.MenuItem Signal

    def callback(menuitem, user_param1, ...)

menuitem :      the menuitem that received the signal
user_param1 :   the first user parameter (if any) specified with the connect()
method
... :   additional user parameters (if any)

The "activate" signal is emitted when the menu item is activated.

Now, how would I use that signal somewhere else in the code to call for a
refresh?