Q: GtkHTMLx Situation

Hi there,

currently I'm working on a GTK application for model railroad design. See http://www.xtrkcad.org/ in case you're interested. As it is, XTrkCad is a strict GTK application. It doesn't rely on Gnome or any other external libraries.

My current activity is to improve the help system. My preferred way of writing the docs would be to use HTML. So I spent some time investigating the miscellanous options for adding HTML support to my app.

Judging from what I found out my alternatives are:

GtkHTML2: not maintained, probably around for a long time anyway, Gtk only library, no documentation, buggy and memory leaks

GtkHTML3: work seems to be ongoing, requires GNOME (for printing), a little documentation is available.

I understand that there are differences in HTML/CSS support. As I have full control over the HTML that's not a big issue for me.

So my question: is that assessment correct? I found somewhere that work is ongoing to move GtkHTML3 to GtkPrint, which would remove the dependency on GNOME. Is that change still on the way?

Currently I'm thinking about starting with GtkHTML2 and moving to GtkHTML3 once GtkPrint is supported. I already coded some basic functionality so I'm pretty confident that I will be able to implement all I need.

Does all that sound reasonable? Where would I find a place to post questions that might arise in my attempts to use GtkHTML3?

Any ideas, help and pointers are welcome.

Regards
Martin