Re: How do I get the GTK+ exec. file to Install?

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 19:15 +0000, Kayode Arowolo wrote:
Dear Michael,
Dear Michael,

Thanks for your response and concern. I need to develop the GUI for my
project written in C. I want to install gtk on my laptop which runs on
windows platform. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Let's keep these e-mails on the list, please.

If you are using a tool like Dev-C++[1], there are pre-build packages
for that IDE that are quite nice.  See
http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/packages/gtk.html .

For use with Visual Studio, you just need to unpack the binary tarballs
somewhere (say to a folder called c:\GTK) and then in your project you
have to add all the libraries and add the include folder to your
includes path.  You can get these canonical binary tarballs from
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html . There are also some
basic instructions on using them.  You will need to download all of the
dependencies on this page.  GTK depends on a lot of utility libraries
that don't ship with Visual Studio or windows.

When it comes time to deploy your application, you will need to make
sure that either your end users have the GTK runtime installed (there
are a number of installers out there to ease this for users; see
http://gaim.sf.net/win32) or you can bundle the GTK dlls in the
appropriate folder structure in the folder where you app installs.  GTK
cannot and should not be statically linked.

Michael

Thanks.

Kayode

Michael L Torrie <torriem chem byu edu> wrote:
        On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 05:09 +0000, Kayode Arowolo wrote:
        > Dear gtk-app-devel-list,
        >
        > I have been trying to download the GTK+ exec files from
        www.gtk.org (ftp) so that I can install on my system but all
        to no avail. Please help out with suggestions on what to do.

        I do not understand. What are you trying to do? Are you trying
        install pre-compiled GTK libraries on your operating system?
        If so,
        what operating system are you using? Are you trying to compile
        GTK from
        source? You will need to provide more information and ask a
        specific
        question.