Re: Subtitle extraction via OCR

Hi Liam.

(You donât need to CC me, Iâm subscribed.)

Liam R E Quin, 31.07.2007 00:52:
On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 00:32 +0200, Mathias Brodala wrote:
Since Iâm currently working on extracting hardcoded subtitles from some
video files, I needed an application to do this. I quickly found SubRip[0],
but it is, unfortunately, only available for Windows.

Check that there's no teletext/videotext/closed captioning first - you don't
need OCR in that case.

The subtitles from the original video files are directly hardcoded into the
video part. Unrecoverable without OCR, since there is no other textual material
delivered.

I've yet to use any open source OCR package that has been less effort than
rekeying -- commercial OCR software is workable though.

Hm, is libgocr that bad? (As an example.)

I don't know if the abby finereader API is available for Linux;

Seems like[2]:

ABBYY FineReader SDKs [â]  provide developers with an Application Programming
Interface (API) for integrating the functionality of ABBYY FineReader into
applications built for Windows or Linux platforms.

Regards, Mathias

[2] http://www.abbyy.com/for_developers/

--
debian/rules