Re: Subtitle extraction via OCR

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 00:32 +0200, Mathias Brodala wrote:
Since Iâm currently working on extracting hardcoded subtitles from some video
files, I needed an application to do this. I quickly found SubRip[0], but it is,
unfortunately, only available for Windows.

Check that there's no teletext/videotext/closed captioning first - you
don't need OCR in that case.

I've yet to use any open source OCR package that has been less effort
than rekeying -- commercial OCR software is workable though.  I don't
know if the abby finereader API is available for Linux; there are
others, if not.

Liam