Re: Image Loading Problem on Windows Box

On 25 Jul 2007, at 16:03, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

G Keighren writes:
I had tried putting the loader directly in C:\Windows\System, but
it had to go in C:\Windows\System\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\loaders.

OMG. Please don't.

Sorry, I'm new to Windows programming!

Putting third-party stuff under the Windows folder was perhaps a good
idea in the 90s, but today the general consensus is that it is very,
very wrong.

Despite what I did above, I definitely agree with this.

Instead, install GTK+ (and its dependencies, in case you "install" by
unzipping the separate zip archives for each package) in a folder of
its own (under \Program Files, something Unixish like \opt\gtk+, or
whatever), and just set up your PATH so that your executables will
find the DLLs it needs.

Will the compiled program then know to look in this different location for the dlls? Or will each target machine have to have its PATH modified?

Ideally, I would prefer the end users to not have to do anything other than copy and run the executable. Would statically linking the GTK libraries give me this result?

Thanks in advance.