Re: gtk-app-devel-list Digest, Vol 34, Issue 43

On 2/27/07, Saroz Kumar <saroz kumar gmail com> wrote:
Hi All,

I need to disable minimize, close options on top - right side of the window.
I already built the window with gtk_window_new() call. Is it possible to do
the reqd. changes?
Note: i cannot remove that frame in the window.
AFAIK, this is not a GTK function, it is handled by the window
manager. You can use gdk_window_set_type_hint to set a hint for the WM
to render the decoration and gdk_window_set_decorations to hint the WM
to turn on/off some decorations, but there is no guarantee that the
close and minimize options disappear with all WMs.

From the documentation of gdk_window_set_decorations:
"Most window managers honor a decorations hint of 0 to disable all
decorations, but very few honor all possible combinations of bits."

For example, if I run your GTK program under Beryl, I could have Beryl
configured to *always* show the minimize, maximize, close and
window-shade buttons (window-shade is normally not shown in Metacity,
and there is no direct equivalent in vanilla Windows).

Another option is to disable WM decoration and draw a frame yourself,
but this is non-standard and will look ugly on systems where users
have other WMs selected. For embedded apps, etc. this doesn't matter.

Is it possible to display a scroll text (like marquee text in html ) in the
window?

Not directly. As a piece of unsolicited advice, please don't use a
marquee, it's very annoying!

-Jim