Re: gtk-app-devel-list Digest, Vol 34, Issue 43

Dear Jim,

Thanks for the response. Could you to tell me how i can use
gdk_window_set_type_hint() and gdk_window_set_decorations() calls for gtk
widow. Is it going to affect behavior of gtk window?

And please provide some information how to display scrolling text in the
window.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Saroj

On 2/27/07, Jim George <jimgeorge gmail com> wrote:

On 2/27/07, Saroz Kumar <saroz kumar gmail com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to disable minimize, close options on top - right side of the
window.
> I already built the window with gtk_window_new() call. Is it possible to
do
> the reqd. changes?
> Note: i cannot remove that frame in the window.
AFAIK, this is not a GTK function, it is handled by the window
manager. You can use gdk_window_set_type_hint to set a hint for the WM
to render the decoration and gdk_window_set_decorations to hint the WM
to turn on/off some decorations, but there is no guarantee that the
close and minimize options disappear with all WMs.

From the documentation of gdk_window_set_decorations:
"Most window managers honor a decorations hint of 0 to disable all
decorations, but very few honor all possible combinations of bits."

For example, if I run your GTK program under Beryl, I could have Beryl
configured to *always* show the minimize, maximize, close and
window-shade buttons (window-shade is normally not shown in Metacity,
and there is no direct equivalent in vanilla Windows).

Another option is to disable WM decoration and draw a frame yourself,
but this is non-standard and will look ugly on systems where users
have other WMs selected. For embedded apps, etc. this doesn't matter.

> Is it possible to display a scroll text (like marquee text in html ) in
the
> window?

Not directly. As a piece of unsolicited advice, please don't use a
marquee, it's very annoying!

-Jim