Re: gdk_window_at_pointer and foreign windows

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 23:55 +0000, Kevin O'Riordan wrote:
I'm pretty new to the whole GDK programming area. I have a question on
managing foreign windows using GDK. I have a foreign window which I've
"registered" with GDK using gdk_window_foreign_new. However, calling
gdk_window_at_pointer when the mouse pointer is over the window
returns me null.

My theory for this is that child windows of the registered window
might be "blocking" GDK from seeing the window that it has registered.
Yes.
I've no idea if this is actually the case or not though.
Have you tried reading the source?  Look in gdk/x11/gdkwindow-x11.c.
If you call
this method and the window directly under the pointer is a non-GDK
window, will GDK go back up the X windows tree until it finds a GDK
window?
No.

How big a problem is this?  What are you actually trying to do here?

Ed