App blueprint, advice please!

Sorry for the long email but I really could use some help. I sell used lab instruments to people doing great work researching cures. The closed source programs to control and process data from these instruments often cost 20K. The people providing the software really abuse their legal positions. Writing an open source replacement has become an obsession for me.

I want to build an App to control dozens or even hundreds of instruments using different ports/buses (GPIB, Serial, Parallel etc) and I want to do some fairly complex data processing after. Then I want to be able to save the data in a database and/or in numerous formats.

The problem is, I am not qualified for all this, I am a part time, self taught programmer. I will need to pay others to bring this to fruition. I figure the best way to solve a complex problem is to break it down into smaller parts. I was thinking about writing small GTK/Python, GTK/C programs that can read from standard input and write to standard output. I was thinking that I could write customized BASH scripts for people to connect these small programs into a cohesive App. When others get involved they could simply do the same and write more custom BASH commands, indeed in their language of choice.

I think using Bash as the App "nervous system" and Python/C as the muscle would make sense but I have never seen such an App, which makes me think it is probably a stupid idea.

I have been going around in circles for about a year now and still do not have a line of code to show for myself. This project may take many years. Any feedback on my blueprint would be really appreciated-Patrick