Re: Tweaking GUI, losing code (GTK+ and Ruby)

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 09:17 -0400, Flak Magnet wrote:
I'm teaching myself to program using glade, libglade, the
"ruby-glade-create-template" script and ruby.

I've found that I'll often have to go in and edit the GUI I designed to
fix something that I forgot or wanted to tweak.  When I do this

Is there a way that I can modify the glade-created GUI without losing
the edits to the code that I've made?  Is there an easier way to do GTK
with Ruby?  Or perhaps even something different from GTK for ruby that
should work "better" for GUI efforts with Ruby?

Are you using libglade?  Code generation by glade itself is not
supported anymore and we are advised to use the glade xml files in our
programs directly.  Using libglade we can easily make changes to the GUI
without affecting any code in our programs.  I use python right now and
it's very simple to import the xml file, attach my callbacks and display
the gui.  Any changes to the glade file just require a restart of my
python program.  It's pretty slick.

Michael

TIA,

--Flak