Re: gdk_threads_leave in gtk callback ?

Gus Koppel wrote:

Vladimir wrote:

There are two uses of GTK+ in non-main threads:
1. error reporting via message boxes and
2. adding text (which comes from network) to GUI windows.

Btw, if you don't use modal message box dialogs then there is absolutely
no need to use multiple threads (aka one to receive, the other one to
display) at all. One single thread can perfectly handle this chain of
actions:
- wait for data from network and receive into buffer if there's any
- add received buffer data to a text display
- open a (non-modal) message box to report errors if there are any

The non-modality of the dialog assures that reception anmd display of
incoming data would continue at the same time.

Sorry for talking with myself, but I think that in fact it doesn't
matter whether there's a non-modal or modal dialog. Single-threaded,
asynchronous data reception and visualization (inside a main window) can
still be accomplished, since a modal dialog should not block input
sources or idle or timeout handlers of a main loop, if I'm not mistaken.