Re: box around a GtkLabel

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 17:27 -0500, Zvi Sebrow wrote:
Wally,

I thought about using a frame,  but i couldnt find a way
change the width of the lines (of the framei), or the color of the lines.
Is there a way to do that?

If you want your stuff to deviate from the default look and feel of Gtk,
first rethink (users expectations get perturbed, users get confused,
users gets angry with you).

Still here?  Check out Themes/Styles:

        http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkStyle.html

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wallace Owen" <wallace owen L-3Com com>
To: "David Necas (Yeti)" <yeti physics muni cz>
Cc: "Zvi Sebrow" <zvi sebrow verizon net>; <gtk-app-devel-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: box around a GtkLabel

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 19:14 +0100, David Necas (Yeti) wrote:
On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 01:09:39PM -0500, Zvi Sebrow wrote:
I'm trying to draw a box around one or more GtkLabels.
when i use a GtkDrawingArea, the box comes out fine,
but the labels are covered by the inside of the box.
is there a way to set a GtkDrawingArea to be transparent,
so it wont cover up any GtkLabels?

or is there another, simpler way of doing this?

Yes, it is: just draw the text with gdk_draw_layout() on the
drawing area.

But if you really want labels, and only used GtkDrawingArea because you
thought it'd be a way to decorate around them, then what you really want
to do is put rour labels in an hbox or vbox, then put the hbox in a
frame, and don't use GtkDrawingArea unless you want to draw primitives
like lines, arcs, polygons and text.

  // Wally

--
This message represents the official view of the voices in my head