gtk+/gdk and multiple monitors

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to display gtk+/gdk and other X
applications like firefox across 4 monitors connected to one
computer. The task is to show different content (e.g. 4 different gtk +
apps) on each screen but also perform text marquee effects across all
of them (like one big frameless gtk+/gdk window spanning all screens
letting X do the distribution of graphic data?).

For the hardware to be used I prefer 4 seperate graphic adapters
(rather than one plus external hardware to connect the monitos since I
need to display different content on the screens also, see above) but
it's not yet clear what to do.

I've heard about xinerama -- however, I would like to ask here more
generally if this task conflicts with gtk+, and further, how I could
do things like telling my gtk+ window to appear on monitor 4 etc.

Thank You

Felix