RADiola, a GTK RAD tool

Folks,

I hope this is not off-topic for the list, but I would like to know what do you think about this project of mine, as it is being itself developed in GTK and it is kind of a Rapid Application Development tool for delivering simple GTK apps. I have written a PDF User Guide, with some screenshots, and uploaded it here:

http://www.quickdump.com/files/56883457.html

I would really like to have your opinions, suggestion, critics, etc. about the software, so it would be great if you could have a look at it. If QuickDump does not help, I can send the PDF through e-mail for those who want it. Here is an excerpt from the guide, about features:

"RADiola is a very simple Rapid Application Development (RAD) tool, heavily inspired in known RAD tools like Visual Basic, Gambas, Delphi, but specially in PDAToolbox and some inspiration from the legendary Apple HyperCard when it comes to user-friendness. However, RADiola's main characteristics, which make it a different software, are:

        - It is absolutely free software.

- It is focused in easiness of use, which of course means a sacrifice in flexibility and power, but makes it a useful tool for education and introduction to software development.

- No knowledgement of a programming language is needed. Applications are completely created in a graphical manner. The AppDesigner module encomprises an interface designer with the most commonly used widgets found in graphical environments, such as labels, entry fields, radiobuttons, tables, etc. Plus, the application variables and composite types (like records in Pascal or structs in C) may be created and defined from GUI dialogs with the default types available, such as integers, strings, pointers and arrays, allowing the user to create (declare) very complex variables for global use in the application.

- Responses to events happened in the applications are set with the use of very simple fluxograms (flowcharts) which compose subroutines, equivalents to the functions and procedures found in most programming languages. They can have local-scope variables (which are also created by the user in a very simple GUI interface) and very simple mathematical formulae as easy as those we all learnt in school. Simple geometric shapes play the role of the most basic programming elements (loop, if-then decision, return, value attribution, etc).

- Ready for use is The RADiola Library, a bunch of pre-made subroutines for most common actions, like showing a message box, opening another program, close a window, greying out widgets, etc. The user can add to the library his own subroutines, or may easily modify some of the existing subroutines (they are just like flowcharts as well!) and distribute them to other users. “Wrapper” subroutines for some widely used GPL libraries are available and may be easily created by developers. The RADiola Library is very expansible and you can freely download new versions or single subroutines.

- For those who want to use more advanced or specific libraries, RADiola permits placement of traditional function calls in the generated code. No need to be stuck to the standard library.

- It is not an interpreter and it does not include a compiler – all the user-created applications are saved in XML and INI scripts which are converted to source-code by the Code Generator modules available. So, a more experienced programmer may improve the code with his own hands – of course, no computer can match what a capable mind can do.

- Although the default Code Generator outputs code in C with GTK/GLib, other Code Generators may become available, such as C++ with Qt, Tcl/Tk, FreePascal, etc. With the use of different Code Generators, the user applications become highly portable among a lot of systems and graphical environments, with no (or very little) modifications in the source-codes."

Thank you very much!

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brasil

_______________________________________________________ Você quer respostas para suas perguntas? Ou você sabe muito e quer compartilhar seu conhecimento? Experimente o Yahoo! Respostas !